Today, GomTV announced a new world-wide tournament for Starcraft 2 - The Global Starcraft II League (GSL). The GSL will take place each month, with a prize pool of 200,000,000 KRW (about $170,000). Winners of the monthly tournaments will be seeded for main tournaments. These events will be broadcast 5 days per week, unlike MSL/OSL that usually only show 1-2 times per week.
- 2010 GSL is a league to determine the groups for the 2011 GSL.
- It will be decided through 3 StarCraft II Open Tournaments. The players are assigned points for their accomplishments in these leagues. (Points will be revealed after all three tournaments are complete)
- The format will be single elimination. (Bo3 for Ro64~Ro8, Bo5 semi, Bo7 finals)
- The prize pool for each tournament will be about 200,000,000 won (app. 170,000 USD)
- Default speed will be "Very Fast" (guessing faster)
- Player must use the race they register with
- Up to the semifinals, Blizzard's official 1v1 maps will be used. Both players pick 2 maps they want excluded from the pool, then the maps are randomly chosen for each set.
- The finals will be the same way except both players pick 1 map they want excluded from the pool.
- After all three tournaments, the top 32 will become "Code S" players.
- 33rd-96th will become "Code A" players.
- Code S players and Code A players earn the right to participate in the GSL 2011.
- If a Code S player drops out before GSL 2011 starts, the top Code A player will fill the spot etc.
8/10 ~ 8/22 - Registration
8/28 - Offline Preliminaries
9/4 - Opening match for Ro64
9/6 ~ 9/10 - Ro64
9/13 ~ 9/14 - Ro64 cont'd
9/15 ~ 9/16 - Ro32
9/17 - Ro16 day 1
9/20 - Ro16 day 2
9/21 ~ 9/23 - Korean Thanksgiving Break!
9/24 - Ro8
9/27 ~ 9/28 - Semifinals
10/2 - Finals
Ro64 and on will be broadcasted by GomTV
Winner: 100,000,000 KRW (aprox. $85,700 USD)
Runner-Up: 30,000,000 KRW (aprox. $25,700 USD)
Semi-Finalists: 10,000,000 KRW (aprox. $8,600 USD)
Quarter-Finalists: 4,000,000 KRW (aprox. $3,400 USD)
Round of 16: 2,000,000 KRW (aprox. $1710 USD)
Round of 32: 500,000 KRW (aprox. $430 USD)
Round of 64: 300,000 KRW (aprox. $260 USD)
Sources: TeamLiquid.net, GomTV, PlayXP
Edited by xou at 18:03 BST, 29 October 2010 - 24028 Hits