Okay since this game is still in early Alpha development there's plenty of time left to discuss possible features that could breath new life into the Arena genre. The trick here is that the game shouldn't be polluted with too many features, resulting in randomness. On the other hand it needs some refreshing features to differ from it's spiritual predecessor (CPM) and QL. Hypothetically speaking, what would you like to see introduced in Reflex?
I have a couple of ideas of my own
- A temporary protective spawn bubble that lasts for 1-3 seconds. This prevents spawnraping like it occurs on for example Aerowalk. Keep in mind the spawn bubble would dissapear if you start moving/shooting! For Aerowalk in particular, another solution would be too add more spawnpoints.
- A shield gun (reflect enemy projectiles, so it also functions as a weapon in that manner) that wears off after a few collisions (depending on enemy weapon). It should be small, so it doesn't cover the whole hitbox. It's more efficient when you duck, because that makes you more compact. The downside of that is you can get pinned down easily.
- As mentioned before by some people here, damage through floors (only a specific type of floor, that's placed around armors and strong positions). Only possible with rocket launcher. Negates camping.
- Maybe some kind of gun that, like the grenade launcher, shoots projectiles that bounce off the walls, but the projectiles aren't affected by gravity like grenades are. I remember a similar weapon being used in Unreal. Not sure how far the projectile should be able to travel though, it could be abused to spam corners.
- Shoot through teleporters (already confirmed in a way).
- In team games (after the round has ended) be able to bring down some kind of chart that shows how many times you killed (or got killed by) certain players, e.g. Bob killed John 5 times, John killed Bob 3 times (preferably with the weapons used).
- Footstep sounds (really nearby, like 2-3m away). I know this could favor the camping player but it also locks down for example a camping player with low hp, so he can't really make a move.
- Variable increased weapon switch time. For example it takes a little bit longer to equip the railgun than it does to equip the machinegun. This would nerf the overpowered weapons like the railgun. The railgun wouldn't have to be nerfed the way it was before (by removing hitscan). Also i would welcome a little more delay between the railshots, to rule out spamming.
- Increased speed with gauntlet. I noticed this in the leaked QL changes, call me crazy and yes this isn't COD or CS but let me sketch a scenario. If you choose to pick the gauntlet, you have more chance of surprising the enemy, but consider this: it reveals your position (switch sound) and you can get severely punished if you don't switch to the right weapon in time. It could be useful to reach a position more quickly and catching the enemy off guard.
- Choose your own spawn point (like pre-start of HooneyMode albeit in real-time, on a small 2d screen). Advantage being you can spawn at a place where you are not likely to get spawnkilled. Disadvantage can be you're losing valuable time.
- UT styled double-tap dodge, good to make an unexpected move or to emerge quickly behind the corner to hit a rail. With cooldown time, so it can't be abused and it makes you vulnerable to counterattacks. Can't be followed up with bunnyhopping.
- Crouchsliding (already confirmed will NOT be implemented)
- Cell shaded graphics (confirmed probably not going to happen)
- The possibility to record demos from your opponent's POV as well as your own (like mvd, but you wouldn't need an extra guy in spec to record you both. This way you could learn from mistakes you made during the match).
- In the serverbrowser, show how much time is left in the game you are about to join. In Q3 you have to join the game first, only to find out it's another 9 minutes of waiting.
Community driven feedback (from esreality)
- In the planned training mode, be able to seperately practice the needed set of skills, e.g. movement, aiming (something like the bot practice map ojtar1a
), positioning etc. (c) Anonymous
- The ability to shoot your own, or your opponents' projectiles (rockets, grenades). Good to pre-detonate a rocket that would have else penetrated a hole in the wall. Perhaps the machinegun would be a good weapon to shoot the projectiles, thus countering the attack? (c) Generic Nickname
- Some kind of Defrag mode, it's a fun and useful mode to practice movement. Could be combined with Surf in an all-movement orientated gametype. Basically like QL race but better! (c) qr
- A Coaching mode like it exists in TF2, requires voice-comm support. Newb friendly and it brings players closer together (no homo) (c) Anonymous
- Tank mode (many players take up arms together to beat 1 overpowered player with battlesuit) (c) JS3
- Add back wall-clipping, being able to cut corners by clipping the curves when strafing at high speeds (c) Shin-Obi
- Some kind of spawncounter that makes sure you don't spawn in the same spot twice or more, effectively reducing the enemy's consecutive spawnfrags. (c) Terifire
- Save the server's current state (done by referees/admins) when for example during an official tournament match one player drops out due to connection issues. Saves all the positions, items, weapons etc in a temporary file. Avoids having to recreate the whole match statistics (remember Strenx vs Cooller @ IEM Kiev?) (c) foctis
- Add VQ3/QL ruleset (c) multiple users
- Fully customizable HUD (c) Gobotz
- Persistent leaderboards for FFA (c) ImpulseBE
- Midair mode (c) JS3
- Visible timer that also displays milliseconds during the last minute (c) multiple users
- Analog clock (c) multiple users
- Item timings: greens/yellows 20s, red 30s, mega 40s (c) T1E
- Higher knockback values for the PG, allowing to boost yourself up against a nearby wall to avoid for example splash damage from an incoming rocket (c) Amalik
- Allow disabling of ingame chat + chatsounds to prevent spam (mute other players) (c) gory
- Be able to spec players the way they see the game (take a few important visual cvars like r_picmip and cg_fov and store these serverside somewhere, so it can be retrieved) (c) moto1
Very serious ideas below
- Portal gun (make your own teleports!)
- Jetpack (gain the higher ground ez!)
- Gravity gun (c) Serious
- Hugs in team modes (c) Gobotz
- Fleshlight (c) Jamerio
- Vehicles (c) Comrade
- Micro-transactions (c) Ger1e
- Medals (c) me
- A pan (c) DamianLillard
- ZTN (c) Megaman
- Cooller statues all over the place (c) Pill
- Cooller bot using Cooller quotes (c) Shin-Obi
- Invasion mode, fight hordes of aliens (c) Jamalz
I might think of some more later... then i'll add them here... you post yours, let's continue making suggestions!
edit: once we have received enough suggestions i will create a poll to see which features are considered most popular.