As the $25,000 QuakeCon 2on2 TDM tournament in Dallas, Texas is approaching (4-7th August), the ezQuake development team has been hard at work getting the QuakeWorld client ready for the action. Just a few weeks ago we saw the release of ezQuake 3.0
which brought a plethora of changes, with some being major overhauls of important parts of the client. Other changes were made to accommodate requests from the QuakeCon tournament crew with regards to rules and regulations, ensuring a fair tournament while still taking into consideration how the game has evolved over the years.
The ezQuake 3.0.1 version features no revolutionary changes but rather, as the version number suggests, aims to smash any remaining bugs and potential stability issues. To install the new version, simply download and place the executable in your Quake folder.
On a related note it should be mentioned that the nQuake installer still features a ezQuake 2.x version but will also be updated in time for Quakecon as it will be used on the tournament PC's.
Download ezQuake 3.0.1 on Github
Known ezQuake issues on Github
- Allowing alternate player models now determined by ruleset
- Ruleset qcon reports the new player model (CapNBubs) as modified
- Changing ruleset or /allow_scripts now releases all protected keys. Blocks /cl_idrive workaround.
- Added /con_toggle_deadkey cvar as a workaround for SDL2 deadkey-handling. Should stop first character typed at the console being corrupt when using a keyboard layout where the console toggle key is also an operating system deadkey.
- Bugfix: keyboard operating system layout is used if the program is started and /cl_onload is set to a console command (was previously set to QWERTY until game started).
- Bugfix: /cl_keypad cvar operational again, if set (default) then keypad & basic number keys can be bound independently. If turned off, keypad keys converted to standard keys, bindable as per QWCL.
- /gl_loadlitfiles now controls loading of all colored lighting, regardless if from .lit file or stored in the .bsp file. Hidden cvar /gl_noinlinergb removed.
- Bugfix: horizontal fov was being increased when /viewsize caused effective aspect ratio to change. /scr_fovmode cvar controls how ezquake keeps the fov correct.
- /scr_fovmode 0 (default) will use the aspect ratio of the monitor and then crop the image vertically. This matches the approach taken in QWCL
- /scr_fovmode 1 will introduce horizontal letterboxing to keep the aspect ratio constant.
- Ruleset qcon now available through menu
- Sound: desired samples available through menu
- "Light Mode" renamed to "Darken Map"
- Bugfix: F2-F12 are now bindable in menu
- Bugfix: When unbinding through menu, only keys that match the command are unbound (rather than all keys starting with the corresponding command)
- Various documentation corrections and updates.
- Bugfix: Various memory leaks patched
- Bugfix: /playdemo could crash client
- Bugfix: console background resizes as console width/height changes.
- Bugfix: ambient sound would not change volume if cl_maxfps was sufficiently high (leads to ambient sounds always playing or never playing)
- Bugfix: on Linux systems, keyboard input will be grabbed as well as mouse when /in_grab_windowed_mouse set. Should stop window manager shortcuts from firing during game.
- Bugfix: /connectbr will default to port 27500 if no port specified
- Bugfix: No longer looks for files in root of the current drive if /userdir is empty
- Windows: can now access https:// server browser sources (libcurl library updated)
- OSX: binary should now be compatible with OSX 10.9