01:10 - How did you first become involved in Arena FPS?
03:30 - When did you get involved in the competitive side of things?
05:18 - How did playing turn into casting?
08:05 - Were you a good caster when you first started?
09:55 - How did you go about improving your casting?
16:15 - How would you characterise Arena FPS casting?
20:32 - Who was the best to ever cast Arena FPS?
22:08 - Why do you love Arena FPS?
23:55 - Unreal Tournament or Quake?
25:58 - Which version of Quake is your favourite?
27:17 - Which version of Unreal Tournament is your favourite?
28:58 - Which players have stuck out the most to you over the years?
31:10 - Any highlights that deserve a mention?
33:50 - How did it feel watching Arena FPS fade into obscurity?
37:03 - Do the people who were involved in Arena FPS often reminisce?
40:00 - Do you think the people who were involved in Arena FPS can now have some important influence in its resurgence?
44:00 - Is the maturity and passion of Arena FPS players a good selling point for breaking into esports again?
46:32 - Is there a current trend that leans towards games that emphasize decision making over mechanics?
48:10 - Is the negativity and elitism of the Arena FPS community a major hurdle going forward?
50:12 - 1v1 versus team games in 2016
53:38 - Does 1v1 negatively impact growth?
55:10 - Is it possible for an indie Arena FPS game to grow organically in 2016?
1:01:33 - Do you think there can be a resurgence of Arena FPS?
Bo1: drop-drop-drop-pick, loser of coin toss drops first. Bo3: pick-pick-drop-pick, loser of coin toss picks first. Bo5: One map advantage for WB player. LB player picks first map, loser picks each map thereafter.
Each participant must join #callvote @ irc.quakenet.org
Call timeout if your opponent is lagged out, also have timeout command bound!
Fakenicking is not allowed
Any server agreed on by both players is acceptable. If there is no agreement then the server with the smallest difference in cl_extrapolate 0 is played. All servers must record demos.
In case of dispute contact an administrator.
Posted by flair @ 19:02 CST, 10 February 2016 - iMsg
If you hate Flash (and you should) but you like Twitch (and you should) you're probably wondering when html5 will be implemented. Some people have resorted to using applications such as livestreamer + VLC, but there are other people out there who can't be bothered downloading these applications and as a result don't watch live streams. I found a nice trick that lets you use the upcoming html5 player in your browser without downloading anything. Simply replace CHANNELNAME with the channel you want to watch.
[/q]It is important to note that this is still in beta, will not work with VODs, and chat does not load in the sidebar. Chat not supported. If you enjoy spamming dank memes and copy pastas on twitch you will need to load chat in a different tab/window (i.e. http://www.twitch.tv/CHANNELNAME/chat?popout= ) or use an IRC client. The source link below also contains information on how to get chat working with the beta html5 player, but a lot of people report errors so I have not bothered trying it yet.
Hi all, aftert todays update, me and some friends started to have heavy fps drops...now we have 70 fps :FFF i used to have stable 200 fps yesterday and today this 70 fps :(((( we dont know what can be the reasons....my vsync is off, tryied default cfg, restored system, updated the graphic card drivers, nothing helps....any ideas? :(((
Posted by certes @ 05:47 CST, 10 February 2016 - iMsg
Anyone have any cool game ideas?
I think sometimes games these days go for too much eye candy just think back to Prince of Persia, another world, leisure suit Larry lol, speedball, commando, etc etc
Anyway times change and within the fps genre I would love a free to play fps shooter where you can buy your character(s), imagine being able to join an unlimited universe travelling around like in elite but it's fps shooter style but you could also act like an undercover agent. You could choose from any character the developers managed to license like
Etc I'm sure you have better character ideas!
Each week they could have a poll for the next character to develop /endorse and have elements of teaming up with people you meet in the universe and forming alliances with real time voice chat etc spanning a real world heck even stopping terrorist attacks or maybe you just wanna mow the lawn at home :)
- You can now grab maps directly from the workshop when starting a server or callvoting a new map via the in-game menu.
- Added new console commands: "wmap <id>" and "wmatch <id> <mode>" for voting workshop maps
- Maps can now be published to Workshop directly from our map editor via the "Publish" button in the top toolbar.
- You can also rate, favourite and subscribe to maps during the end game screen.
- Spawn system overhaul
- Fixed broken biasing giving wrong spawns
- You can no-longer spawn at same spawn as last time (10 second timeout)
- Added line-of-sight check
- LOS checks can favor/block potential spawns depending if person viewing it is friend/foe. In team games it's modified by number of people viewing spawn. i.e. 2/4 team mates looking at a spawn, will increase the change you can spawn there by 50% of the existing chance. Existing chance is based off normal distance biasing.
- Added fall-back in team/FFA games where all spawns are not available. It will allow any spawns except ones assigned to other team (ctf) or if a team mate is standing on it.
- Added initialSpawn property to player spawns -- these will be used for the first spawns of the game (provided there are enough available).
- Burstgun now fires 6 shots, at staggered offsets, and do 7 damage per pellet
- Removed modes a1v1, atdm, affa from worldspawn -- these are now just attached to 1v1, tdm, ffa, respectively
- Added weaponclip magic material -- blocks shots but not players.
- Game won't end due to few players if there's a player in editor mode. (i.e. you can solo edit race maps while game is in progress now)
- Added EntityWorkshopScreenshot -- saves out high quality screenshots on publish so you can quickly update additional screenshots via the Workshop website
- Screenshot/screenshotWithDepth now save to PNG format
- Added support to auto-convert old netcode revisions to live version AKA "we can load old replays (from now on)"
- Improved connection/mapchange handshake-- maps can now be pre-loaded if client can source the same map. (from either disk or workshop)
- Improved load screen, no-longer triggered just on gamestate download. also displays client/server workshop download percentage.
- Added hands in 1st person (only partially visible on burst gun so far, WIP)
- Scoreboard will now list people queue'd for teams under the correct team. spectators / editors are still always on the left under team ALPHA.
- Added ready up text
- Implemented fog system
- Added end of game camera wobble & sound
- Added game finished flag to replay file. (only flagged if gamestate is gameOver on save)
- Replay recording are now correctly saved & stopped on map / mode change.
- You can now see yourself in the end-game screen.
- Replays created from workshop maps are now prefixed with TITLE instead of mapname (5939432432)
- Removed r_ssao & our SSAO implementation (we still have r_hbao)
- Renamed "SSAO" in options menu "HBAO+"
- Fixed replay editor toggle bind in UI (wasn't hooked up properly)
- Fixed incorrect material assignment - brick_gothic_wall_cnr
- Fixed AmmoCount.lua from stomping lua weapon colour (so it appeared white)
"com_maxfps" limited to [10->inf) or 0. quick fix this prevents issues caused when playing < 4fps
- Fixed subframe bug where mousewheel events would be triggered when console was visible
- Fixed issue where clicking JOIN ZETA button wouldn't work (as it was performing two cvars on same frame, and correct data wasn't being sent to server)
- Fixed issue where cl_playercolor* would stomp some player state flags when it shouldn't. (such as changing team index to 0)
- Replay file names are now purged before saving to disk (previously bogus character names in players were preventing files from being created)
- Fixed script bug where "FRAGGED" would be displayed when you're queue'd to play.
- Binds are no-longer passed to game now when in the menu. (this fixed weapon being changeable in menu + also editor working in menu)
- Disabled crosshair in end of game screen
- Fixed spawn biasing to actually work properly (see more info in the "Gameplay" section)
- Callvote dialog no-longer hides & re-appears when die.
- Start server button (in menu) now performs "disconnect" first, ensuring it's a true server restart, and not just a map change.
- Removed some redundant/old textures to free up some VRAM
- Updated hostile (has new normals, improved lods)
- Updated ivy textures: simplified albedo look a bit and halved res (1.7mb on disk to 440kb on disk)
- Updated pipes to have smooth normals
- Updated PRDM3/Ruin -- bolt platform lowered, new blue tele by the mh/yellow armor
- Maps shipped with Reflex have now been renamed to their proper titles (such as Ruin.map) instead of arbitrary gibberish
- Transitioned a heap of previously included maps to workshop
- Renamed sv_public to sv_steam to avoid near-constant confusion
- Implemented sv_allowmodes -- server will prevent changes to anything NOT in that list. If list is empty, all modes are allowed.
- New Burstgun mesh (still a work in progress)
- Industrial mesh set optimisation pass
- Optimised effects: environment steam
- Optimised effects: lots weapon trails and impacts
- Optimised effects: pickup smoke
- Ivy leafs now all support albedo overrides
- Ivy performance increase
- Added Lua variables: serverConnectedToSteam, player.inventoryMelee, world.mapWorkshopId, timeLimit, timeLimitRound
- Added Lua function: meGetPrefabList()
- Exposed camera position to lua
- Fixed bug where data saved by widget:saveUserData() wasn't saving correctly if called in widget:finalize()
- Fixed issue where widget cvars were not saving correctly to .cfg
- Exposed vote information to lua
- Callvote popup implemented in lua -- we get pretty pictures now :)
- Fixed bug in WeaponRack.lua where it was stomping weapon colour to white
- Fixed issue where right & middle mouse were flipped for lua mouse regions.
- Removed laughably out of date readme.htm
- Added match <mapname> <mode> command to save doing two seperate votes
- Implemented screenshotClean - generates high quality constant FOV screenshot. Can specify custom resolution here (and take 8k screenshots etc :))
Hey guys just wanted to say for you gaming euthsiasts that I stream on twitch and would love for some feed back www.twitch.tv/OPT1MUSPR1M3, I use monitor capture and am really wanting to get into the streaming scene as well as am new here but I am running into some issues with obs currently , minus some frame drops but that is probably due to my hardware anyway on monitor capture I cannot seem to get it to go fullscreen , hoewever when i do use game capture and have it fullscreen i get green flickering , no idea what the cause is so any input to these would be great so I can get it set up and stream ql for u guys =) thanks
also glad to be here this is a lovely community :P have a great day guys and please respond as soon as anyone can if they have any idea as to why i am getting this flicker when using game capture , I dont get it on my acual screen either just in stream , when i do monitor capture there is no issue other than I cannot fullscreen.
f0cus also my hardware is a 8320 overclocked at 4.4ghz , a r9 380 4gb . 24gb of ram anything else yall need to know please feel free to let me know =)
Tell us from the multiple streams what you think about this game, and also if you played it already.
WHAT I LIKE:
+ it's new and fresh
+ new engine
+ made by blizzard, so means lot of money and potential
+ some nice ideas, gameplay-wise
WHAT I HATE:
- IT'S NOT QUAKE FFS
- have fun trying to get stable 250fps, even fazz with his high-end gaming pc can't get more than ~140fps stable, when you're used to the fluidity and smoothness of 144hz 250fps I think it's hard to get back to anything lower than that :(
- moba, which means more teamplay than individual skills
- mainstream shooter, which means FUCKING NOOOOOOOOOOOOB
- movements (I mean when you're used to any version of quake or even reflex, OW's movements are fat like Jamerio)
- too much of everything, I mean, too much different abilities, too much heroes (and tbh some heroes seem rather useless or too similar to others heroes when it comes to aiming etc), too much distracting effects, too much players (maps are big but still 12 players is a lot and the fights are often messy and random)
- starcraft not same genre but still seems much more skillful than OW
- IT'S NOT QUAKE FFS
TBH overall I don't get all this hype for this game, it just seems like TF2 2.0 , and I'm 200% sure that if there were still LAN tournaments for quake (DreamHack, ESWC, UGC, MLG etc), and online tournaments with good cash prizes (10 000$ for 1st), 99% of the quake players wouldn't have even tried OW and would still only play and stream quake everyday.
Quake's gameplay is so perfect tbh, why need something else ?
COME ON id GIVE US QUAKE 5 OR QL 3.0 WITH UPDATED GFX!!!! ANDDDDD MOOOOONEYYY!!!
I keep dreaming :(
gonna take my meds, cya guys
Edited by He4rTL3sS at 16:50 CST, 9 February 2016 - 305 Hits
Time has come for new Clan Arena season at House of Quake ! Signups will be open from 1st of March to the 20th of March. The first league match starts at 15:00 CDT, 24 March 2016.
Cup day for CA league will remain at Thursday as with previous seasons. Rules have been updated and similar as with TDM cup, there will be a squad player limit. Limit is set at 8 players per squad. Mappool is changed from last season: Asylum, Trinity, Overkill, Quarantine, Hidden Fortress, ra3map9, ra3map20.
Also players and team managers should make sure that all players in squad have their steamid entered in profile's designated field, otherwise they will not be eligible to play any matches.
Is is standard option for smart tv sets to have ability to stream movie from another computer in home network ? That's one option that I need from smart tv or do I need some separate media player for that ?
So, we all know now that every DPI beyond a three-digit is a lie.
It's interpolated some way of another.
So, logically you must run native DPI to have the best tracking.
For example: its better to have email@example.com sens than having firstname.lastname@example.org sens.
So the question is, where to get exact numbers?
And what to do with some mice like Abyssus 2014?
I have it and w/o synapse it runs at 1800 dpi, which is a lot.
What to do with this abyssus? Install synapse and force it to XXX?? (and what is native for aby 2k14?)
Or synapse still f_ks up tacking?
In that case I may get another mouse... I don't want f_ked up tracking.
Scheduled: 13:00 CST, 2 March 2016 to 16:00 CST, 3 March 2016 Begins In:
FPS GameTribe is hosting a two day Quake Live duel tournament starting Wednesday at 13:00 CST, 2 March 2016. All rounds leading up to the semi finals will be played on Wednesday, and the remaining rounds of the double elimination bracket will be played out the follow day at 13:00 CST. Players are able to signup now on challonge. Join #gametribecups on irc.quakenet.org if you have any questions.
• Double Elimination Bracket
• Winner Bracket: BO1 till the semifinal, BO3 WB semi, WB final and Grandfinal (two BO3 if it will be needed)
• Low Bracket: BO1 all matches (including LB final)
• Map selection for BO3 is pick, pick
We'll have something a little special - games casted by Gilanguar of /r/arenafps and by Dem0n - who will also be playing the grand final.
As is tradition we've had a nice mix of newbies being ground to a pulp by several better players. And this time we might see the two time champion Xiphos dethroned by Dem0n playing on his home turf. The only question remains whether or not Xiphos will be able to take a map or not :D
Posted by astz! @ 20:56 CST, 5 February 2016 - iMsg
Been following this site for longer than I care to think about. Just wanted to whine a little bit. It has really fallen in terms of content. Not the writers, I guess there isn't much to talk about anymore. The whole FPS scene just seems so flat. :(
Cry with me, brothers!
Edited by astz! at 20:58 CST, 5 February 2016 - 2136 Hits
Why is it when you tell a story to people they tend to listen and respond to you? This is true in all situations actually especially in quake. it's like.. people just can't get enough of stories. You can tell them anything and they'll listen. Why do people waste their time listening to other people's stories?
The sign-ups for the TDM HoQ Spring 2016 Season will be opened from the 1st to the 20th of March. The league will start on the 27th of March.
The rules has been freshened up a bit : A TDM squad now has a maximum limit of 6 players. The map pool almost remains the same : Deep Inside, Dreadful Place, Grim Dungeons, Limbus, Purgatory, Ragnarok and a 7th map that hasn't been decided yet (Tornado or Intervention).
Given the success of the donation campaign from the previous season (see the details), we've decided to run a new one for the coming TDM Spring 2016 season. You can donate at Paypal@xou or just use the plain old Paypal link.
I want to ignore certain annoying people, it can be done through the menu, admin>toggle mute.
The problem is that if I see those players again in another game, I must toggle mute again! Also, those people can now change their nickname in steam, so one must check for their other aliases to notice it's the same person.
Is there a way to always ignore a certain player regardless of their current alias which stays ignored even if one reboots pc?
I only found one good classic CTF server to add in my favorites and it's often full. Does the mode suffers from a lack of servers or players ? Is there still ctf pickups organized ? It seems there are even less CTF servers than TDM (all empty too).
So I am looking at all the new mice that have been coming out and I don't know which to get. Zowie's have the best form I have ever felt but they have the worst latency lag ever, right? Logitech has the best senor but the least ergonomic design for me. They came out with a new one, the 402, I think. But it's based on old technology. Not sure why they would put a new technology with an old senor that had flaws??
Posted by flair @ 01:12 CST, 4 February 2016 - iMsg
Are you getting the most out of your COX? My internet provider (COX Communications) actually used to use that as their slogan some years back. With a slogan like that it's no wonder that their service loves to troll it's customers. I am soooo salty right now about the state my COX has degraded to. COX has never been known for being the best out there, but since my only other option is very unstable DSL I'm stuck with them.
Since you won't be attending qcon why not add accel again and go back to your old sens (sens 4. accel 0.1, 400dpi) so we can see some old rockets cypher vs evil games? I've been following you since you started using very low accel to counter evils lg your have rockets become much more inconsistent. Even av3k said in an interview that your rockets have gotten worse. I know that in important games like qcon you barely miss your rockets but it hurts to watch you miss all your rockets in situations you usually wouldn't against an over-aggressive lg rushing evil over and over again online. I couldn't think of a more entertaining match than a 2010 homing missile cypher vs current lg hax evil. Funny thing is the last time we saw old sens cypher vs evil was at zotac 133 and cypher won with a 100 ping.
Edited by yoyoman at 02:48 CST, 4 February 2016 - 1523 Hits
So I sent my Zowie EC1-A for RMA due to defective/faulty sensor, and surprise surprise, the new one I get has the same exact issue.
Can anyone else with a Zowie mouse / Mouse with the 3310 sensor in it, comment on whether or not this is normal? I'm also curious to know what purpose the trim lens serves to the overall functionality of the sensor.
Sooo...finally figured out how to make a half decent demo, and now Youtube's aggressive compression is the only thing keeping the quality low.
Come summer, I'll have been playing this game for a year, so I wanna get a bit better.
Oh, and...don't say my positioning! I'm well aware that I'm often attacking 5 guys while my teammates hide around a corner, hoping an enemy on 1HP walks by. That's mah own demon to slay. And, honestly...some days I quite like that I play like that. Maybe I'll just have to figure out how to stay in the enemy's face and not always be the first to die, but without the cactus fucker +back shit (read the description)
From watching the demo, I'm thinking my rockets have gotten pretty poor, and I'm tending to aim a bit low for some reason. And I think I'm totally not using rail enough.
But, if I were a Quake Yoda, or Mr Miyagi, then it would be you posting this shiz, and me answering it.
"Always too aggressive you are. Hide where your teammates are cowering, you must"
Anyways...apart from the obvious stuff...oh and "Stop using the damn jumppads when you know there's guys up there whoring their LG stats". Yeah...I know. It's just hard to not attack.
So...hit me with that Yoda wisdom! No mystical shit, though, please. :D
Scheduled: 16:00 CST, 13 February 2016 to 21:00 CST, 13 February 2016 Begins In:
The NA CTF community will be hosting a CTF Draft Tournament on Saturday 16:00 CST, 13 February 2016. The sign-ups are open now, and players will need to confirm their availability on the day of the tournament. Players are encouraged to join #nactf.ql on irc.quakenet.org and play some CTF pick-up-games to practice and get hyped up for the tournament.
• Team Captains will be decided by the admins, and the Team Captains will pick their teams from the list of participants.
• Once the teams are finalized they will be posted in IRC along with Team Captains steam profile. Players should add their Team Captain to their friends list.
• Be prepared to use voice communication. Our mumble info is: vx38.commandchannel.com:31282
• Players should idle in IRC channel #nactf.ql on irc.Quakenet.org throughout the tournament
A short movie made by myself in 2014 when I was still active but was never really majored nor brought up to light at that time.
I made the entire movie in 60fps 720p, but I suck at encoding apparently so after multiple tries and cries, I uploaded the uncompressed file to youtube and let youtube do the work for me, hence the non-perfect quality and no 60fps. Enjoy it.
Thought it was worth a post since I'm about to come back to QL, which is huge for the entire community obviously *self deluded*
Still, to me, a memento to when I actually knew how to play the game.
First #capickup draft cup has finished with a success. There were a couple of issues at the very start of signup stage which were resolved swiftly, by our bot developer wdx2. However, for next draft there will be a better method of deliveries of servers for the players to ensure even faster game starts.
Important to mention is that requirements of games played will be raised for the next draft cup, to ensure players ratings are much more stable, which will result in better games for all potential players in future draft cups.
Below you can check final standings, lineups with brackets and some demos & VODs.